Common Reasons a Tooth Is Extracted
Here are some common cases when a tooth could require extraction:
- Tooth decay: Severe cases of decay or even infection could mean your tooth has lost too much tissue and cannot be restored with a filling or dental crown. The only optimal treatment here is extraction.
- Gum disease: Advanced gum disease causes the gum tissue to pull back and even loosen a tooth. The damage is often irreparable, and in serious cases, your natural teeth might need to be removed.
- Overcrowding: Tooth extraction can sometimes be a prep procedure for patients with overcrowded teeth. A tooth is removed to make more room on the arch before the patient goes through braces to straighten their teeth.
- Impaction: This means a tooth (usually the wisdom tooth) is trapped under the gums and cannot erupt properly, leading to other complications like swelling or jaw locking;
- Trauma: A direct blow to the mouth, a fall, or other types of accidents could break the tooth. Sometimes the damage is fixable, but not always.
Is a Tooth Extraction an Emergency?
In some cases, yes. If you’re experiencing extreme pain, swelling, or discomfort, then you most likely have a dental emergency on your hands.
Your dentist will do everything they can to preserve your tooth, but if it’s impacting your overall health and causing you severe pain, they may recommend an extraction. Extractions are a common emergency procedure since, by the time your symptoms get severe, the tooth is most often beyond saving.
Even if you’re not sure if you need emergency dental care, we recommend calling us at (203) 375-3068 as soon as possible for immediate help.
Getting a Tooth Extracted at Stratford Smiles
If extraction is truly necessary, Dr. Yuchen Sheng will make sure your tooth is pulled out safely and without pain.
Request an appointment at Stratford Smiles online and stop by our office to restore your oral health.
If you require emergency oral health treatments, call us at (203) 375-3068 to get immediate advice on how to manage your situation safely.